2014 marks 175 years of
Methodism in La Grange.
Circuit Rider Henry Stephenson reached Fayette County in 1824 and Dr. Martin Ruter came in 1837 with the dream of establishing a Methodist College in the area. IN 1839 one of Dr. Ruter’s co-workers was appointed to the Rutersville Circuit of which La Grange was one of the preaching points. The first services were held under a brush Arbors and later in people’s homes. In 1848, the Methodist purchased the old courthouse and moved it, along with it’s bell, to a location on South Washington St. The old bell moved with the congregation two more times before being installed in the new church which was built on Travis Street in 1883. In 1993 the bell was installed in the tower of our new facility on Von Minden St.